The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, July 25, 2016

April 25 - 28, 1960 What an Unusual Thing to Happen!



Monday, April 25, 1960 Billie began working

Billie began work at the Dielectric. What an unusual thing to happen. Rained in a.m. Cleared off in p.m. I got my clothes in and sprinkled. Betty began softball practice tonight. Blanche here in evening. Betty to movies with Linda Berry.



Tuesday, April 26 1960 Pictures came today from England

Today a nice sunny day. This morning when we got up the sun was coming up first time for over a week. Nice and sunny all day. They came and hauled our logs today. I ironed. Cooked etc. Billie and I down to Ferns in evening.



Wednesday, April 27, 1960

Rain today all day. I done up the work. It cleared about midnight. Billie smelting. Betty brought Mrs. Martin up to see her lambs. She went up to Irene’s for babysitting. Bill and Billie over to Denmark after supper. Bill got new shoes.



Thursday, April 28, 1960

A nice day. I done up the work, cleaned up the chambers. Washed, made blueberry pie. In p.m. I cleaned smelts. Kennard and Raymond here for supper. Smelts were real good. Dr. Nash didn’t feel very well today, called Dr. Skillin. He didn’t come. Mama better. Bob and Blanche here in evening. Betty stayed for softball and bowling practice then up to Irene’s for babysitting in evening. Esther’s letter came today.

No comments:

Post a Comment