The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 8, 2016

February 6 - 10, 1960



Saturday, February 6, 1960 Cliff’s birthday

A bad stormy day, snow sleet and rain. I cooked, went to town. Billie up to Chet’s in p.m. Betty up to Dawn’s. She went to movies in evening. Bill and I called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Uncle Os better. I ironed in p.m.



Sunday, February 7, 1960 Jean came

Jean came today. A very nice warm day. I did regular work. Jean came home today from her family in Scotland. Bill and I down to see her. She looked good. Brought a lot of things from home to everyone. Kennie and Dot called here in p.m. Betty home all day. Billie worked up to Chet’s. Bill, Ilan and Bobby cut rest of the pine trees.




Monday, February 8, 1950 Wanda Jean three today

A very nice day and I washed. Betty has German measles. Aunt Ava and Uncle Lewis called this p.m. Also Kennard. Lloyd came up through the woods with his horses and the sled. Aunt Ava rode down with him. Bill had his eyes tested today for glasses.



Tuesday, February 9, 1960

A nice day. I ironed, cleaned up the downstairs. In p.m. Fern and Lloyd called. Betty home from Dawn’s tonight. She cleaned her room for papering and painting.



Wednesday, February 10, 1960

Cloudy all day. I made a pie, cleaned up the chambers. Baked some white beans, had Raymond over. Betty up to Dawn’s for the day and supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment