The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 1, 2016

October 15 - 19, 1958



Wednesday, October 15, 1958

A very nice day, warmer. In forenoon I took up to dahlia bulbs and Gladiolus bulbs, got the plants in for winter. Miss Kalwall came about noon. She will bring the child Friday.



Thursday, October 16, 1958 Lloyd had a shock (mild one)

A very warm day. I churned, cooked. Betty and I got the crib and bassinet ready for the baby. Dolores called, also Dot, Lorraine and Wanda Jean. Billie didn’t get home till late tonight. Lloyd had a bad spell today, is under Dr. care.



Friday, October 17, 1958 Bruce came

A nice day. BRUCE EDWARD HODGKINS came today to live with us. He is four weeks and days old. He came from Maine Medical Center in Portland Maine, a State child. Four weeks six days old. I love him very much.




Saturday, October 18, 1958

This is been a nice day. Baby is cute. We are going to love him. I cooked, done up the housework. Betty home all day. I wrote a letter. Called at Ferns. Delores called.



Sunday, October 19, 1958

A nice day. Done up the work. Wrote letters. Billie didn’t do much. Bill worked at the cottage in a.m. in p.m. we called at Lloyds. He is better. I wrote letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment