The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 21, 2016

January 26 - 30, 1959


Billie Deming in OH on his 2nd Birthday




Monday, January 26, 1959 William Lloyd Deming

A cold day. I washed. Letter from Dorothea telling about her trip. Coming by plane to Portland 10th of February. We are to meet them in Portland. Two weeks and one day. Mama real sick today and tonight. Mike came home with Betty after school. Betty is pleased exams (midyear) are over. She is so relieved. Expects good ranks.



Tuesday, January 27, 1959

Cold this morning. I did up the work. Cleaned up the house. Got the kitchen floor ready and Bill painted it. I cooked. Billie called at Ferns. Mama not much better. I got the clothes in and ironed in p.m.



Wednesday, January 28, 1959

A nice day. The kitchen floor all dry. Bill varnished it after breakfast. I done up the housework. Aunt Ava called. Bill and Bill over to Jim’s and moved some furniture. Mama better. Fern, Uncle Os and Lloyd called. Kennie called this morning. The order came today from Sears Roebuck. All satisfactory. Betty up to Dawn’s in evening. Kitchen floor all dry tonight. I began cleaning upstairs today. Bill put the new stair treads on.



Thursday, January 29, 1959

A good day. I cleaned the dining room. Bill painted and varnished floor. I cleaned some more upstairs, got my room all done. Aunt Ava called today. Dot, Joan and Karen, also Kennard, Bob and Blanche, March of Dimes called on us today.



Friday, January 30, 1959

Cloudy and rain today, quite slippery in a.m. No school because of Teacher’s Convention. I cleaned living room. Billie painted floor. Bill varnished rug on one end of room. Betty up to Dawn’s during day. Dawn and Steve called. Billie cleaned out the pig’s and sheep, put pigs back to their own pen. I finished up upstairs the cleaning. Mama better. Kennard called today. Betty to movies with Mike tonight. Bill worked at Jim’s today.



No comments:

Post a Comment