The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 25, 2023

March 27 - 29, 1985 Betty And Milan Move To Maine!

Wednesday, March 27, 1985 MILAN AND BETTY ARRIVED AT THEIR NEW HOME, IT WAS FERN’S HOUSE

 

I got my work done up in good season. Kim came and got my cupboard painted second coat. It looks nice and I’m very pleased with it. Betty called today and Dorothea. Milan and Betty arrived here about 12 o’clock. They both looked as though they were beat. Betty especially. They are pooped. They are so pleased with her new home. Betty Horton went down and she and Betty did some unpacking of the boxes. I cooked a roast beef supper, onions, lima beans, made some good Pillsbury rolls, had blueberry pie and ice cream. I got to watch my programs today. Billie done some raking. Milan and Betty came for supper. They were bushed from the trip. Happy to be here.

 

 

Soaking up the Sun!

 

Thursday, March 28, 1985

 

On the cloudy side, not very cold. I done up the work. Went to town to shop in forenoon with Dorothea. In PM I watched some of the soaps. Went down to Milan and Betty’s, no headway made there. After supper we went to the nursing home. That was a blowout according to what the outcome was. Dorothea and Betty here in evening. Billie raking today again. Bill scraped a little paint, not much.

 

 

 

Friday, March 29, 1985

 

Cloudy in a.m., in PM it cleared away. Billie to town and out raking. I did the washing. Changed the beds. Made cupcakes etc. etc.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment