The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, February 5, 2023

January 9 -12, 1985

Wednesday, January 9, 1985

 

Sunny all day but WINDY. The wind blowed very hard all afternoon. It had blown all day but in PM it was awful. I done up my work, swept etc. I started on puzzle today. Dorothea helped Betty paint her room today. Billie out all PM. It has been very cold all day. Carmen called at about suppertime.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 10, 1985

 

Zack back to school today. I did my work, made a pie. Kim and Carmen called, out looking for jobs. Went to the Fryeburg Healthcare Center. They signed up also at Bridgton. I worked and finished the puzzle today. I made a pie. Called at Betty’s to see what she has done. I’m so glad to see the door opened up in Mama’s room again. I letter from George Crook. He is coming to visit in the spring.

 

 

 

Friday, January 11, 1985

 

A quite nice day. I done up the work, did the washing. Took a bath, went to town with Dorothea. Shopping. I watch my soaps today. It was nice and sunny most all day. Warm while the sun shone. Billie over to Norway.

 

 

 

Saturday, January 12, 1985 Cold and mostly cloudy

 

Some sun today. It was very cold. I done up my regular work. Washed floors, swept and dusted. Carmen called, had lunch. Then Dorothea called. I tried my dresses on, she is going to shorten them. Carmen took me down to Fern’s. I visited with her most of afternoon. Bill and Billie didn’t do anything much either. Can’t do anything, this cold weather. Zack worked over to the mountain today, also Kim.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment