The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 3, 2023

January 1 - 4, 1985


 

Tuesday, January 1, 1985

 

A cloudy day. I did regular work. Carmen called. Zak went home middle of forenoon. Carmen called at Betty’s and had to work. I watched my TV programs. Betty sent puzzles up.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 2, 1985 Oil

 

Cloudy and a dark dreary day. Just a dite a sunshine. I cooked a roast pork supper. Bill down town to get bread. Billie busy all day. I picked over those puzzles. Betty started her repair work, papering, painting etc. Walt started at Scarborough today. Carmen home sick today.

 

 

 

Thursday, January 3, 1985 $537 old amount, $555 new amount, $18 raise

 

I been busy all day. Working at the desk etc. Got the bills ready to go. The checks came today. There was a very slight increase. Bill went down and cashed them and made a deposit. Billie called to see Arlene Mayberry Stiles at the nursing home.

 

 

 

Friday, January 4, 1985

 

A pretty good day. It is supposed to be a bad storm coming. I done up the work, went to town with Betty. I came home, watched the soaps in PM. Betty went to Norway. Carmen and Kim went too. Carmen and Kim was here. Carmen had to go to work at 3 PM. Kim goes tomorrow to work again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment