The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 6, 2023

January 13 - 16, 1985

 

Sunday, January 13, 1985

 

Zack worked, Kim worked, Carmen gone fishing. David came, they had coffee, donuts. I worked at desk. Kim and Zack worked at Pleasant Mountain.

 

 

 

Monday, January 14, 1985

 

A quite nice day except on the cold side. I did a washing, made a cake. Got my supper to going then I watched programs and finished puzzle. Bill down to Betty’s. Kim there too. She didn’t have to work. She helped Betty. Billie to town, got grain, up to Dorothea’s and around.

 

 

 

Tuesday, January 15, 1985

 

I did the ironing, it is still cold. Not much going on. Carmen worked. Kim hasn’t. I hope they get onto the right track soon. It’s too bad they are trying so hard to make it on their own. Kim made some of the most delicious hot cross buns I ever ate. She brought us up some.

 

 

 

Wednesday, January 16, 1985 very windy and cold

 

Carmen and Kim out looking for work. Prospect fair. I hope they hear something for good news. It was a very windy cold day, snow blowed. When finally went down about suppertime. Billie out and in today. I pity the poor horses  or any animal outside. I swept, dusted, watched programs and worked on puzzle.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment