The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

March 15 - 18, 1985

Friday, March 15, 1985

 

Cloudy and very windy, on the cold side. I have been busy all day. I washed all the glasses and table dishes from back porch. Now I have everything all done. I want to get rid of it now before people see it. Dorothea and Billie to Portland for his checkup. It is fine and a possibility he won’t have to wear glasses. I hope so. They probably will let him know next week. Dorothea got her bean pot tonight. Also Carmen and Kim took a few things. Bill laying down a lot today, he does most every day. Carmen took me down to Betty’s and to see the room. She found a few old things and the petitions.

 

 

 

Saturday, March 16, 1985

 

A nice sunny day, windy in a.m. It has been cold today. I got up early to get my work done. Swept, dusted, did the floors and made a cake and rolls. Busy all day. Carmen called. She is tired and not feeling too good because of job etc. Betty and Walt up to camp, the field is nearly all bare. It is good to see the bare ground.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 17, 1985

 

On the cold side. It was sunny. I defrosted the refrigerator. Betty came up, she and I picked rest of dishes over. She took what she wanted and will store the rest of them. Bill not very strong.

 

 

 

Monday, March 18, 1985

 

A cold windy day. I did a wash and Betty came up. We cleaned the kitchen cupboards. Carmen and Kim called. Billie out for a while. Bill to the doctor. Dr. said he is okay.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment