The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, February 23, 2023

March 19 - 22, 1985 Billie Turns 54

 

Tuesday, March 19, 1985

 

A nice day, on the cool side. Betty here. Carmen and Kim, Dorothea called. She is helping Sid Johnson for a while to help him. He just got home from the hospital. Betty and I down to the nursing home. We asked Fern about going up to Dorothea’s to live. She don’t want to. I did my ironing.

 

 

 

Wednesday, March 20, 1985

 

I watched some of the programs. Carmen and Kim up today for a little while. Bill reading and just sitting around. Billie over to Clyde Rowe’s.

 

 

 

Thursday, March 21, 1985

 

A good day, it is cold. I done up the work. Dorothea and I to town to do the shopping. I watched a dite of the programs today. Carmen has a job at the nursing home. Kim, Eddie and Carmen to Portland. Kim came home sick. It is her day off. Also Carmen got a job working for Bob Guptil.

 

 

 

Friday, March 22, 1985 Billie 54

 

A very nice sunny day. I have been busy all day. Washed, washed all the windows. I made a cake. Took my bath. Carmen working for Bob Guptil today. Billie to the Dr. for his feet over to Fryeburg today, also called on Fern. I had a steak supper for Billie’s birthday. After supper Betty, Walt, Carmen and Zack came and Dorothea for cake and ice cream and coffee. Billie got money and other gifts. Kim was home sick with a bad cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment