The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, February 13, 2023

February 9 - 12, 1985

 

Saturday, February 9, 1985 still windy, not quite so cold

 

I done up my work. Washed floors etc. then I made bread and rolls. David came to help Billie out in the barn. Bill to town, he got Kim and she did the shopping. Well Carmen to Westbrook to start a course on real estate. She met a nice guy which put the old sparks in her blue eyes. I’m glad she met someone, it gives her courage to go to do something like that. I hope she meets someone someday. Zak worked today.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 10, 1985

 

A very nice day. David here, also Carmen called. Dorothea too. Billie out. Called at Fern’s. Vera leaving Fern’s first of March. Zak worked.

 

 

 

Monday, February 11, 1985 very nice mild day

 

Zack home sick from school, kidney infection. I did a wash. Prepared a good roast beef supper. I invited Carmen and Kim. Bill and Carmen gone ice fishing. I finished one puzzle, started another. Watched soaps in PM. Billie out around. Calling up to get milk etc. Carmen is having a lot of calls. She is excited and pleased. I hope something comes of it.

 

 

 

Tuesday, February 12, 1985

 

It got cloudy today. I did the ironing and vacuumed the house. Carmen came, she and I went down to get the food (gov). I worked on the puzzle and saw most of the TV soaps. Betty called. Betty and kids down to look at a house on Portland Road 302. Billie up to Dorothea’s. Carmen to school tonight at Westbrook junior-college. She made it home before the storm got to bad. She saw her new friend Kevin.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment