The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, February 11, 2023

February 1 - 4, 1985

 

Friday, February 1, 1985 cloudy and snowing, not heavy

 

I done up my work, got ready, took a bath. Worked on the puzzle. Some checks came. Dorothea called, she and I went to town. She took care of Fern’s banking. I cashed our checks. Kim didn’t work today, she and Carmen up to Betty’s. They prepared supper and had Tom and Charlene and Ed Boulter for supper. Eddie is Kim’s friend.

 

 

 

Saturday, February 2, 1985

 

Mostly cloudy. I done up all the work. Washed floors etc. Dorothea and David came. David did the chores. It kind of cleared in PM after a scattering snowfall. Zack worked. Kim got through at the mountain. She disliked the man she worked for. Zack worked.

 

 

 

Sunday, February 3, 1985

 

Zak worked at the mountain. Carmen at Betty’s for supper and had her birthday gifts. She was very pleased. Kim and Eddie to Portland today. She had a good time. A nice sunny day. I worked on puzzle all day. Kim called in evening. She see what the trouble was and straightened it out. Got it together in just a little while. Had a problem with puzzle.

 


 

 

Monday, February 4, 1985

 

A very nice sunny day. I did my washing, went to town. I worked on things at the desk. Billie in and out. Bill read the book today. Carmen Kim up and to Portland. Carmen did some shopping. Also put her name in at the dating service. She is some pleased and excited. I hope she will get results and very good ones too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment