The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, February 24, 2023

March 23 - 26, 1985

Saturday, March 23, 1985

 

A nice day. I done up the work. Washed floors swept, dusted. I called Milan and Betty today. Dorothea called today. Also Carmen. She worked at the hospital tonight. Kim worked tonight. Also was going to the dance. Sid paid Dorothea today, very good pay.

 

 

 

Sunday, March 24, 1985

 

A nice sunny day. I got up at seven. Got the breakfast, done up the work and I cleaned draws in the kitchen. David called.

 

 

 

Monday, March 25, 1985

 

A very nice day. I done the washing. Watched some of the shows. I wrote to Esther. It was very cold and windy. Billie in and out. Bill down town. Billie out this evening, he went to Casco and bought a steer of Ron Fogg. Kim here and painted the cupboard. Eddie came, he helped her too.

 

 

 

Tuesday, March 26, 1985 Billie got a new steer, Wes hauled it up for him. BETTY AND MILAN FURNITURE CAME


A very nice sunny day but awful cold because of the wind. Up early, got my work done and my ironing. Betty came about 8:30 AM. We went down and got Kim then we went up Laverdiere’s drugstore and sat there to wait for the (blank) moving van from Windsor Locks, Connecticut. We waited and waited, they didn’t come at nine as we expected so we brought Kim up to Betty’s to stay in case they got the call there. Betty and I came right back at the drugstore parking lot. Dorothea came too. We was there about three quarters of an hour than the big (blank) came over the hill. Bill was down there and Billie too. Carmen still working at the store again. Dorothea and I called on Fern today.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment