The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

September 29 - October 2, 1981 Carmen Home For The Weekend

 

Tuesday, September 29, 1981

 

A very cold windy day. I did my ironing. Bill mowed the lawns for the last time. We had liver tonight and it was very tender they said.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 30, 1981

 

It was a nice day, very windy and cold. I went down to Betty’s a little while. David came down, they sawed wood and put it in. I helped Betty pick up her vegetables. Bill mowed Fern’s lawn.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 1, 1981

 

It was a quite nice day, some clouds. I done up the work. Made cookies, to town, did some washing. Bill and I took Fern to town for Fern’s hair. Betty took Delores and I to town to shop. We picked Fern up. I came home, did some odd and end jobs and watch TV soaps. They finished the wood.

 

 

 

Friday, October 2, 1981 CARMEN HOME FROM COLLEGE, $339.30, $149.20, total $488.50

 

This is been a mixed weather day, sunny, cloudy, rain. I done up the regular work. I ironed, cleaned up the bathrooms, to town, washed etc. etc. Carmen came home tonight about 8:30 for the weekend. It was so good to see her. She likes up to school very much. She has great experiences. Betty, Kim, Zak called after supper with Carmen. It was so good to see her. Billie plowed at Walt and Joy’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment