The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, March 21, 2022

October 21 - 24, 1981

Wednesday, October 21, 1981

 

A nice day. I done up my work. Billie busy all day. I went up to Sweden to Don Gray to pay for her building permit. We did some shopping. Got some things for Fern’s birthday. In evening Betty, Kim, Dorothea, Joy, Cindy, Susan and I all called at Fern’s for her 79th birthday. She got some real nice gifts, all are foods to eat. Bill and Billie finished the woods at Joy’s. Our bank statement company Canal Bank of Portland.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 22, 1981

 

A partly cloudy and sunny day. I done up my work. Did a wash, went to town. I made applesauce and some jelly. Bill, Billie and Betty up to the camp and got the ladders, other tools and lumber home. Dorothea went to work at Dr. Nobles today. David’s mother came today for a few days.

 

 

 

Friday, October 23, 1981 VERY HEAVY RAINS, very mild temps

 

Very heavy rain all day. I done up regular work. Ironed. Billie and I up and got apples. I came home, made two pies, cupcakes etc. etc. Then I watched TV in PM 1 to 4. Billie in and out. Bill took the radio down and had it repaired. It only needed cleaning and tightening up the button, screws etc. Betty cleaned her house today. She called at suppertime.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 24, 1981

 

Quite cold and some wind. I have been very busy all day. I made two pies, a batch of bread, rolls, beans. Changed beds, washed windows, floors, swept, dusted etc. All day. Took a bath in late PM. Billie busy outside. All day Bill sat around. Down town a couple times. In PM he watched TV and ballgame. Bobby and Randy Smart called in PM.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment