The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, March 12, 2022

September 18 - 20, 1981

Friday, September 18, 1981

 

A fair day, no rain but a partly clear day. Some haze. I did a wash and some cooking. Betty called, she worked up to the lot. Billie and David sawed the most of David’s wood. Bill worked on the bus. Mr. Saltman came and got the bus and canoes. I watched programs in PM, all of them are very interesting now. Had green peas for supper, they were delicious. Walt got them somewhere for us. Billie and David got a lot of wood sawed.

 

 

Metoo and Dintz

 

Saturday, September 19, 1981

 

This is been a miserable day. Rained all day. I done up the work, made rolls etc. I swept and dusted. Betty, Walt and Zak up to the camp lot. Bill down to camp then his car went to pieces. Billie had to go to get him down town. I got floors washed because Bill and Billie was gone. David hauled some of his wood.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 20, 1981

A mostly sunny day. Some clouds. I done up the work. Then Bill and I went up to the camp lot. Betty, Zak, Walt and Tom were up there. Bill took hold and helped them put in the cement block foundation. Walt had to leave to go to do some soil testing. We stayed up there till about 4 o’clock. It is very nice and pleasant up there. Kim went up with us but she came home. She had to get supper and mow and trim lawns. I planned to have Fern up today. David hauled his wood.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment