The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 18, 2022

October 11 - 14, 1981

Sunday, October 11, 1981 David’s cow sick

 

They sawed the wood at Walt’s. I didn’t do much today, a few odd jobs. Bill worked at the camp. Billie and the Hortons sawed wood. David helped. The belts gave out on the tractor. So they didn’t get it done. Dorothea working a lot at Gail’s now. Carrie is not very good.

 

 

 

Monday, October 12, 1981 Columbus Day, MEAT

 

A beautiful day. I did my washing. I made a mince pie for supper. Made an oyster stew. Billie got the meat home. They sawed rest of the wood at Walt’s. They got it done. I sent a letter to Carmen. No mail today. David’s cow better.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 13, 1981

 

A very nice day. I did a wash. I did an ironing. I got my supper started. I was busy. Bill up to camp. He and Betty. Billie took his tractor to garage. David’s cow is better before he went to work, she ate some and drank some water. Milan and Betty came. Milan and I up to the camp lot. The new cottage looks real nice.

 

 

 

Wednesday, October 14, 1981

 

Another heavy frost. Sunny and clear today. Joy called this morning. Milan and Betty came early, I done up my work. We got ready and called to get Fern. We went for a very nice long ride. Up to Waterford, East Stoneham, Lovell, Fryeburg, Chatham, Stow, Fryeburg, Stow, Chatham, very mixed up roads wandering back and forth. It was a beautiful ride. We went to the Narrows on Kezar Lake. It was a beautiful day. Bill and Betty worked at camp. Billie cleaned up the flowers, yard etc. David’s cow better. Fern came up, Milan and Betty and Dorothea dropped in. All had supper here. Fried ham, shell beans, mashed potatoes, squash, tomatoes, hot rolls and chocolate cake.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment