The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, March 17, 2022

October 7 - 10, 1981

Wednesday, October 7, 1981 MATTRESS AND CLOCK

 

Another mixed weather day, on the whole it was quite nice. I did the bathroom and Billie’s room. Billie bought a new mattress for his bed. Bill worked up to Betty’s camp, also Ilan. Fern out to supper with Carlton and Phyllis at Boones on the waterfront in Portland. Kim came up and got some milk. Dave called this morning and Dorothea this PM. Billie also bought a new digital clock.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 8, 1981

 

I done up regular work then I cleaned and defrosted the refrigerator. I cleaned kitchen, cupboards and draws. I watched some of the soaps. Because Betty and Bill was working up to the cottage, we didn’t go to town. Billie picked up the apples down in the pasture. It has been a nice day, windy and partly sunny.

 

 

 

Friday, October 9, 1981

 

It was a partly cloudy day. A lot of sun though. I finished cleaning the kitchen. It took me all day. Bill and Billie up to camp. Bill came home early. He took Delores and I to town. We saw Carlton and Phyllis when we got back to Delores’s. Billie been working outside all day. Cleaning up leaves some old hay from the pasture etc. etc. Betty and kids over to the fair and Walt met them. They had their supper over there. Walt’s truck went to the garage today.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 10, 1981

 

It started out being cloudy but it cleared up and became sunny. I baked beans. Made rolls, bread and pies. They began to saw Walt’s wood.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment