The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 27, 2022

November 14 - 17, 1981

 

Saturday, November 14, 1981

 

Kind of cloudy in early a.m. but it cleared off and it was a very nice sunny day. Zak came up for breakfast and stayed all forenoon and watched programs till about 1:30. Then he went home. Kim dropped in a minute. Billie cleaned his truck and both tractors. He put the red tractor away for the winter. Bill worked on Walt’s truck. Betty gone all day, buying antiques.

 

 

 

Sunday, November 15, 1981

 

Will this is been a long cloudy rainy day. Bill worked on Walt’s truck. Now the truck is leaking oil from the transmission again. Today Bill went up to David’s, he got up as far as the corner by the Cemetery and the car conked out. He walked up to David’s and he and Dorothea towed the car up to David’s and she brought him home.

 

 

 

Monday, November 16, 1981 CARMEN CALLED

 

Such miserable weather it has been another rainy day. I did my washing, down to Betty’s to see her antique purchases. About 11:45 AM I got a phone call from Carmen. It was so good talking to her. She said the weather has been miserable up there too. Bill and David hauled the car home. It has gone to pot. I don’t know what we will do. Billie took Howard Millett down to the cattle farm along the southern coast to look for cattle.

 

 

 

Tuesday, November 17, 1981

 

Another rainy miserable day. I hate it, it is so disgusting raining every day. I did my ironing and a few other jobs. I made a meat loaf for supper. Got a nice long letter from Carmen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment