The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, March 6, 2022

August 26 - 29, 1981 Carmen off to COLLEGE!!!

 

Wednesday, August 26, 1981

 

A nice day, it has been all the week. I done a diet of washing. Carmen called. She is working on the wall.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 27, 1981

 

To town, Betty took us. I came home. I was busy all day. Betty, kids called at different times. Carmen still working on the wall, it looks very nice. I ironed.

 

 

 

Friday, August 28, 1981

 

A beautiful day. I been very busy all day. I went to town. I made some tarts and fudge for Carmen.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 29, 1981 CARMEN CHRISTIE HORTON OFF TO COLLEGE

 

When we got up this morning it was a beautiful day. I got up early. I got a bath taken, I got the breakfast, got my beans in at a little after 8 AM. They came all packed and ready. Carmen looked very nice. We had a very nice ride up, very pretty all the way. It was very (?) And all the way the homes we saw and the many farms everywhere so neat looking. We got up there by 11:30, got Carmen unpacked then we rode around over the campus. We saw Laurie and Zenya’s buildings where they will live. It was a very pretty town and college campus. We came home by the coast. A very pretty drive, ate supper at Rockland.

 



Nanny, Daddy, Aunt Fern, Carmen and friend Becky Meinking




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment