The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, March 11, 2022

September 14 - 17, 1981 Zak turns 12

Monday, September 14, 1981 VERY WARM

 

A nice day. I done my washing. I canned up the tomato mincemeat. I made two pies. Watched soaps in PM. Cooked Swiss steak for supper. After supper I got the cukes ready for the pickles. A lot of pickles. It has been a very mild day, quite muggy. Got cukes ready to make pickles.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 15, 1981 Walter Ambrose Horton IV 12 years today

 

It was very foggy this morning. It cleared, it was quite a nice day, mild. I been busy working on the pickles today. I made 23 jars. Made of vanilla pudding for supper for Zak’s birthday. I had him up. I had porkchops, tomatoes, squash, blueberry muffins and his pudding.

 

 

 

Wednesday, September 16, 1981 Walt’s heifer went today

 

A mostly cloudy day. I got the pickles down cellar. Billie carried them down. Then I cleaned the stove, defrosted the refrigerator. I vacuumed then took a walk down to Betty’s to see the new (?). Jeff and his girl and her child called at suppertime. Betty cleaned up her barns today, put the horses down front. Their heifer went tonight.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 17, 1981

 

Betty took us to town. Then I came home and finished the work. Made a mac & cheese for supper, also a squash pie. Bill worked at the camp all day.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment