The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, March 28, 2022

November 18 - 21, 1981 NEW CAR

 

Wednesday, November 18, 1981 CARMEN CAME TONIGHT

 

Rain again. It is so sickening. What a week this is been. I done regular work. Carmen came for the Thanksgiving recess.

 

Dintz helping with dishes

 

 

 

 

Thursday, November 19, 1981

 

Another very miserable day. I done up my work, went to town. Came home and cooked something for supper. Bill and Betty over to Oxford looking for a Subaru but didn’t find anything. Dorothea went with them. I watched TV programs in PM. Billie washed most of the kitchen ceiling. Had meatloaf for supper, very good.

 

 

 

Friday, November 20, 1981 NEW CAR

 

What a miserable day weatherwise. Rain and snow. Today Bill, Betty, Dorothea left about noon to go to Portland to look at a car. It was awful weather. They went out to the Maine Mall car sales and low and behold after hunting and riding around all day they found a very nice very good condition at this place, a Ford Fairlane. It only had 11,000 miles and like new inside. They took it and drove it home. They didn’t get home till late, about 7 PM. Billie finished the ceiling in the kitchen. Evelyn Ridlon called. I made a spice cake and loaf of Graham nut bread.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 21, 1981

 

Another mostly rainy day. It cleared off for just a very short time they came in rain again. Also a few of those snowflakes came down. I done up my regular work. David called to see the new car. Bill and I over to Harrison to pay the car insurance. It is a very nice pretty car. In very good condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment