The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

October 3 - 6, 1981

Saturday, October 3, 1981

 

Kind of cloudy but it cleared and was quite a nice day. I got my housework done, beans in, made rolls. Carmen, Betty, Kim and Zak came up for breakfast. They all enjoyed that. After that we all went to the camp lot. Billie did a plowing. Walt worked again all day for the state.

 

 

 

Sunday, October 4, 1981 Carmen gone back to college, left at 4:30

 

Partly cloudy, a lot of sunshine though. I got up about seven. Had breakfast, done up the work. David called, Dorothea and Joy both to work at six this morning. Bill fixed the window David brought down. Billie took the plow off the tractor. Bill up with Betty and Walt. Carmen went to the fair with Lisa Osgood. Carmen called on her way home from the fair. I had a box for her. It was very good to see her. She likes it very much up there, doing okay. Bill and I called at Dorothea and David’s. Jeff was there, he is so upset and shook up. I’ll be glad when he gets settled down. Billie took screens off.

 

Carmen and Lisa

 

 

 

 

Monday, October 5, 1981

 

It was cloudy, some in the morning. It cleared up and it was a very nice, pretty, sunny and warm day. Billie washed all the windows in the house, breezeway, garage and barn on the outside. Some on the inside. I took care of the stuff on the breezeway. We cleaned that up. The windows make it look so much lighter and brighter on the inside.

 

 

 

Tuesday, October 6, 1981

 

Cloudy, sunny and rained in early evening. I didn’t get too much done. I did my ironing early and I cleaned up my room. Bill up to camp, he and Ilan helping to fix Betty’s house. Billie doing odd and end jobs. David called this morning.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment