The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 7, 2019

October 22 - 25, 1971 Nanny is upset with the Crazy Koots!


Friday, October 22, 1971

A beautiful day. I had Chris Rager, Kim and Zak. Susan went to Portland with Es to take Vince to doctor. Betty took Carmen to Dr. Richards in a.m. and  Carmen to school in p.m. I washed. Also washed my living room rug, garage windows. Did some cooking etc. To town after supper. Es called in evening.



Saturday, October 23, 1971

A very nice day. Bill mowed lawns. He and Billie cleaned the mowers, took down the top from back porch. Also Lloyd’s. Kim up for a little while. Bill and I took a little ride up over Ridge and over in Hio.



Sunday, October 24, 1971

A nice sunny day. I done regular work, went down to Betty’s while she and Walt went over their land boundaries and posted their land. I had a chicken dinner. Billie down to Lawrence and up to Chet’s. Fern and Lloyd called. Bill and I took a little ride, called at Jean’s.



Monday, October 25, 1971 This is some crazy koots idea of being November 11, Armistice Day



Hot. It began raining last night. Bill didn’t work. I done regular work. Made out checks for bills etc. Billie worked today. This is the holiday in observance of November 11. The real Armistice Day. It isn’t right. They do such crazy things nowadays. No school. Bill, kids and I up to Evergreen Valley. What would Mama and the other old-timers think to see that today. Carmen up here all night.


No comments:

Post a Comment