The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 21, 2019

December 14 - 17, 1971


Tuesday, December 14, 1971 Bill back to the clinic

A nice day. Clouding up a dite in p.m. Bill had to go back to the clinic today. He was examined more thoroughly than yesterday. On the prostate gland they found a lump. He has to go back third of January for a operation. His uric acid test was high, blood pressure high. Billie and I down to Dorothea’s to get him after he got back from Boston. Dorothea picked him up at the bus station. I cleaned up my bedrooms today, washed rugs etc.



Wednesday, December 15, 1971 Snow and Rain

Not a very good day. Cloudy, snowed and rain. Bill and Gordon finished the furnace at Walt’s I was down there for a while today. I didn’t do too much today. Tonight Billie got the Christmas tree in and I decorated it.



Thursday, December 16, 1971

Cloudy in a.m. It cleared in p.m. Quite mild. Down to Betty’s while she and Bill cleaned up the mess in the cellar from the furnace. Called at Fern’s in evening.

Chosing the Christmas Card



Not sure what is going on with Zak in this photo





Friday, December 17, 1971

A nice clear day. Betty took me to town. I did my shopping. Bill down to Betty’s and did some painting. In evening watched TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment