The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, July 2, 2019

October 2 - 5, 197


Saturday, October 2, 1971 HOT very HOT

A beautiful day. I rushed around, done up my work. Zak came up here in p.m. and the other kids came later and Rowena’s two girls. They are very nice girls. Mike stopped here and talked with Billie. The kids came up and he saw them. Bill worked at Helen Jones painting.



Sunday, October 3, 1971

A beautiful day. Bill worked painting, he finished the job. Billie, Esther, Cliff and I took a ride down to North and South Berwick. It was a beautiful day and a very nice ride.



Monday, October 4, 1971 $100

A nice day. I washed. Bill down to Gordon’s to work on that building. I went down to Betty’s for a little while. Bill got paid today for last weeks work.



Tuesday, October 5, 1971

A pretty good day. Betty, Zak, Kim and I to Portland Bradlee’s to get a new coat for Kim. We had car trouble, battery down. Walt came and got the car started. We got Kim home on time so she made it to school. I washed in PM etc. Es and Susan shopping for Vincent and Chris too.


No comments:

Post a Comment