The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 12, 2019

November 10 - 13, 1971 Lawrence Boynton In Accident


Wednesday, November 10, 1971

Still very cold. Bill and I went down town. Esther went with us. No school in p.m. 1 to 5. Carmen home at noon. I went down to stay with Zak while Betty went down to see Carmen’s teacher.



Thursday, November 11, 1971

A beautiful day. We went to Norway. Betty did a little shopping. I washed, ironed, did some cooking. In evening went down to the hospital with Betty to see Fern. She has had a lot of company. Got a lot of cards. No school for Carmen in p.m.


Betty and Milan's 25th Wedding Anniversary




Friday, November 12, 1971 HAIR SET, Betty and Walt’s furnace


Clear in a.m., cloudy in p.m. I went over to June’s, got my hair set. Went to town, got some money, did my grocery shopping. Betty took me. In evening Es and I went down to the hospital to see Fern. She is in good spirits. We took Billie to Lake Region High School for basketball practice. I called at Betty’s today. Today Betty and Walt had a brand-new furnace come today.



Saturday, November 13, 1971

A beautiful day. I done regular work. Went down to Lloyd’s with Esther. We cleaned up the house. Dorothea and family up. Here for supper. Dave and his brother Larry did some hunting. In evening we went to hospital to see Fern. She looks better. Alice called Billie, Lawrence Boynton in a bad accident, blacked out and ran into a tree. Got hurt very bad last night over on Knights Hill. Billie been helping Wesley get cattle etc. today for Lawrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment