The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, July 14, 2019

November 18 - 21, 1971


Thursday, November 18, 1971 Milder today

Cloudy today I went down to Betty’s a little while. She and kids up here. In p.m. we went to town. I had Chris today. Es and Susan to North Windham to Giant store and to North Conway to grocery shop. Billie and Walt down to see Fern tonight, she looks awful. Her legs especially.



Friday, November 19, 1971

A fair day, not quite so cold. Dorothea up today. Was very glad see her. She, Betty and I had a nice visit as usual. She left for home about noon. She said that concert was very good. I wanted to go so bad. Lloyd took me to town to shop. In evening Betty and I down to see Fern. Still looks awful.



Saturday, November 20, 1971

Partly cloudy. I did regular work. Billie helping to get cattle etc. Carmen up here last night, but had to go home early. She thought she was going to spend the day at last. She started out so happy if only Bill hadn’t been so mean. In p.m. Bill and I rode up through Sweden etc. Down to see Fern in evening. She didn’t look very good. Deming’s called in eve.



Sunday, November 21, 1971 Fern better

A cloudy day, I worked at my desk. In p.m. over to Esther and Cliff’s for Chris’s first birthday. Found Fern a lot better today. The new medicine’s helping. Sure hope it keeps on. Billie looking for cattle or cow and calf. Lawrence (?) at pasture. Helped Butch get some cattle in Bolstermills this p.m. Down town to store after supper. Kind of a messy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment