The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 25, 2019

December 28 - 30, 1971


Tuesday, December 28, 1971

A nice sunny day after the snow, rain and drizzle of last night and yesterday. Betty, kids and I to Portland and to Westbrook. We got bread, donuts etc. Dorothea went with us. Betty got Carmen’s shoes. Kim stayed here with Bill. Billie down to Berwick with Lawrence all day. Billie drove him down in his car. Lawrence still not too good.




Wednesday, December 29, 1971

A nice clear, mild day after a 5 below this morning early. Didn’t get up very early. Got breakfast, had home cured bacon Billie got at Lloyd Trueworthy’s, it was delicious. Got the work done up, did a dite of washing. Carmen went down home and got her slide and went out on the crust sliding. She had a good time. She wanted to go home to slide with Kim so Bill took her down. Billie and I to Norway to exchange my stockings or get money back. We called on Phil Hunt. He is in bad condition. Came home, got ready, went to Westbrook. Bill, Billie, Kim and I to Dorothea and Dave’s. Billie and I went down and got some Colonial Sander’s chicken. Went back to Dorothea’s and ate it. All enjoyed it very much. Jeff made a rocket with his new set he got for Christmas. Kim up here tonight.



Thursday, December 30, 1971 Bill 63 today



I cleaned up the house, did a dite of washing and ironed. Went to town, did my grocery shopping. Billie took me. It stormed quite a lot. In evening we had cake, ice cream for Bill’s birthday. Just the regular family. Dorothea’s, Betty’s and us here. Bill got some nice gifts etc.







No comments:

Post a Comment