The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 11, 2019

November 7 - 9, 1971 Fern To The Hospital


Sunday, November 7, 1971

It rained most of the day. Then cleared late tonight. No phone calls from Horton’s. Billie went with Lawrence down country in p.m. He bought some chops, liver and a pork roast from Lawrence. Walt done a lot of fall work. Not a person here all day. It got very cold in late p.m. after clearing. I made molasses cookies.



Monday, November 8, 1971 Cold, Carmen to dentist

A very cold windy day. Temperatures only up in the 30s. Carmen to dentist this morning. I went down and stayed with kids. Betty up here while I finished my washing, work etc. we went to North Conway to the shopping cente., Giants. Bill home at noon. Was too cold to work. Carmen to Brownie’s tonight, she came home with Billie. Bill and I called at Fern and Lloyd’s. Fern still bad with her skin problem. Leg is swollen a lot tonight.



Tuesday, November 9, 1979 FERN TO HOSPITAL

A very cold morning only 18 above when I got up. It only got up to the 30s all day. I washed, done regular work. Es, Betty, and kids called. Bill didn’t work, too cold. He got a haircut. Es, Betty and I talked about Fern. We got her to go into the hospital. She is quite bad again. Northern Cumberland Memorial at Bridgton. TV man here in p.m. Lloyd here for supper. Betty L and I called at hospital to see Fern in eve.




No comments:

Post a Comment