The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 27, 2019

January 1 - 4, 1972 Bill to Boston






Saturday, January 1, 1972

New year begins. I done regular work. Made a cake, rolls baked beans. Washed. Billie down to Lawrence’s. No callers today except Walt came up in PM and brought up some brown bread for supper. We watched the parades on TV. Carmen here last night.



Sunday, January 2, 1972

Rain and snow. Got about 4-6 inches. I’ve been busy all day. Washed windows, ironed, swept, dusted, got sand. Material ready to leave for Billie. Packed  suitcases etc. Billie sick was sore throat and a cold. Bill and I down to Betty’s for supper. Walt and Zak up here for a little while.



Monday, January 3, 1972 Walt took Bill to the New England Baptist Hospital

This morning about 7:45 we left for Boston. Walt took us up. We was about one hour going to Portland. He got us to the hospital at about 11 o’clock. Bill and I went in and Dorothea. I don’t know what I would have done if it hadn’t been for Dorothea getting me through those old subway stations. She was such a help to me. We was so glad to get out to Verna and Brud’s. We had such a nice time out there. They were so good to us. Kids and all.




Tuesday, January 4, 1972 BOSTON MASS

Rain. Dorothea and I went back to the hospital this morning to see Bill. He was glad to see us. We stayed till quarter of five them we left for Verna’s. When we got to Sullivan Square we took a bus right to Stoneham. We had a miserable day as it rained. I got my head wet and I guess I’m coming down with a cold.




No comments:

Post a Comment