The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, July 5, 2019

October 14 - 17, 1971


Thursday, October 14, 1971

A nice day. A partly cloudy day, but mild. I cleaned my two-bedrooms, to town. Kim up today. Esther helped Fern do her windows. Zak is better, coming home soon.



Friday, October 15, 1971 $160

A beautiful day, very mild. Bill got paid by Gordon $160. Betty and I to town at noon. I cleaned my living room.



Saturday, October 16, 1971 ZAK CAME HOME

Mild. Betty went with Walt when he went to work. I had the two kids, Carmen and Kim. Billie and I took Christie to Dr. Gauger’s. He gave her a shot medicine and the spray for fleas. She is better this evening. Billie and I called to see Zak, he is glad to be home. Carmen don’t feel good.



Sunday, October 17, 1971

Cloudy in a.m. (thin clouds). Cooler. About 11 AM we left for a long ride. Billie and I picked up Fern and Lloyd. We went to Errol New Hampshire. Had dinner, they came back over the Height of the Land. We saw such beautiful lakes with mountains in back with the beautiful colored leaves. It was a beautiful day, colored leaves, lakes and mountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment