The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, July 18, 2019

December 2 - 5, 1971


Thursday, December 2, 1971

I done up work. Down to Betty’s. She took me to town. Bill and Gordon worked on furnace all day.



Friday, December 3, 1971 Walt to Augusta to take test for first class engineering

A pretty good day, a few clouds. Bill and Gordon still working on furnace. Got it nearly done Bill said. Betty and I to Norway. To town in p.m. I did my grocery shopping. In p.m. I helped Betty to wrap some things. In evening Billie and I to Norway to do Billie’s shopping. Es, Fern, Lloyd all went with us. Walt went to Augusta today to take his test for first class engineering.



Saturday, December 4, 1971

A nice clear day, on the cool side. Kim went home about noon. She has an awful cold. Bill put new hose on sink. Billie downtown, got chicken breasts. In p.m. we went for a little ride. Cathy Smith played with Carmen today.



Sunday, December 5, 1971

Three above when we got up at 7. A nice day. Done up the work. Started out to go to Dorothea’s. We met them on the way. They called at David’s folks. Came up here. Dorothea and I called at Fern’s and Betty’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment