The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, July 13, 2019

November 14 - 17, 1971




Sunday, November 14, 1971

A beautiful day, on the very cold side. Kim up here. Billie helping Butch again today. Pat and Faye called. No one else here. Muriel and her husband up to see Fern. She wasn’t so good, legs swollen again and running. Lawrence is quite lame and sore today. I worked on Christmas list.



Monday, November 15, 1971

A nice clear day. I rushed around, done up my work. Betty, Zak and I down to Dorothea’s, we went shopping at Value House and Monmouth Mart. Got home before school bus. Had a good time, went to the hospital to see Fern. She looks awful.



Tuesday, November 16, 1971 Clear and cold

I washed early this morning, done up my regular work. Gordon came. I went down to Betty’s, we sorted out our parcels. Came home, Bill left for work to Gordon’s about 11:30. I made a pie, bread, got a roast pork in. Betty and Zak up. I got a Christmas order ready to go. Down to see Fern tonight. She looks bad. Dr. Richards assured us she will be okay in time.



Wednesday, November 17, 1971

Not quite so cold. A beautiful day. Es, Betty, kids and I to Norway. In evening Betty and I down to the hospital to see Fern. Her other leg looks awful bad. We are quite discouraged yet one leg, the one that has been bad so long, looks a dite better.


No comments:

Post a Comment