The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, October 10, 2015

November 5 - 9, 1956



Monday, November 5, 1956

Another nice day. I washed and churned. Paid up rest of the Christmas club today. Got another letter from Dorothea today. Kay here tonight.


Tuesday, November 6, 1956

I ironed. A very nice day. Raymond called. We made out some Christmas orders for Mama. Kennard and Dolores came home today. Raymond and I went down to vote today. Verna and children came home with Ken and Dolores. Pres. Dwight David (blank) reelected today by a national landslide over Adlai Stephenson.



Wednesday, November 7, 1956

A nice warm day. I cooked, washed curtains, scarves etc. cleaned shed chamber, grain room and my room. Ironed in eve.



Thursday, November 8, 1956

I finished up the upstairs and two bedrooms downstairs. Billie home all day sick. Rained in p.m. In eve we went up to Kennard and Dolores. Delores and Jeff called the AM.



Friday, November 9, 1956

Nice day but cooler. I cleaned the hall bathroom, living room and dining room. Got pictures from Bill’s mom and dad today. Betty got rank card for first time this year. Very good. Delores and Nola and Jeff called in a.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment