The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 18, 2015

December 11 - 14, 1956



Tuesday, December 11, 1956

Susan seven years old today. Billie home sick today. We backed cards and I ironed. Bill back to work tonight. Betty took Christmas greens up to Dolores. She took Betty downtown to get ice cream for Betty.



Wednesday, December 12, 1956

Billie took Jersey cow over to Raymond’s. Went to work up to Chets in p.m. Cleared off in p.m.



Thursday, December 13, 1956

Cloudy. I got up early, cooked, done a lot of work. Kay up in evening and stayed all night. Mama is sick today. Bill got his first check $30.96



Friday, December 14, 1956

Cloudy cold day, it began to snow about dark. I get the housework done up to go to Portland tomorrow. In evening Billie and I went over and got the hair rinse for my hair at June Stackhouse’s also called on Kennard and Delores. Churned, took a bath. Mama little better today.

No comments:

Post a Comment