The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, October 11, 2015

November 10 - 14, 1956



Saturday, November 10, 1956

A nice day. Bill didn’t work. Hunted in a.m. Bob called in a.m. Bill and I went to town in forenoon. In PM I cleaned the kitchen. Brud, Verna and children came down and called in p.m. Fern and Lloyd called in early evening. After supper Bill, Betty and I went down to Gordons and got our black cat. He has been gone over a year over to Aunt Linnie’s in the evening a little while. Bill got paid $9.00 for camp work.



Sunday, November 11, 1956

Nice in forenoon, clouded up in p.m. Bill worked for Lloyds down to the camps. Delores, Nola and Jeff called in a.m., also Kennie and Bob called in a.m. on way to go hunting. Billie hauled sawdust all day. I cooked and done a few extra jobs in the kitchen. Betty to church and S. S. Bobby called in evening. Snow again tonight. Black cat got out but we got him back.



Monday, November 12, 1956

It was stormy. I churned in forenoon and washed in p.m. Nancy Smart got a deer today. Betty and Kennie Whitney here today.



Tuesday, November 13, 1956

Nice day. I did up the work, got clothes in. In PM went to town and then over to June’s and got my hair set. Delores took me. Mama down to Fern’s tonight. Fern and Lloyd gone away. Betty down to Kays to go to a baby shower for Nancy Fleck. I ironed in evening. Package came from Arthur Whites Mass today.



Wednesday, November 14, 1956

A nice day. I cleaned the cupboards and draws in the kitchen. Cooked. Kay up here tonight. In the evening Sally and I went to the open house at the schools. We saw Betty’s school work, very good also Vickie’s and Kays, it was very good too. My check came from Mr. Ayres today $100.



No comments:

Post a Comment