The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 11, 2023

September 4 - 7, 1985

Wednesday, September 4, 1985

 

A nice day, sunny day. I been busy, defrosted refrigerator. I did the ironing, made an Angel cake Delight, prepared veggies for supper. Got the chicken to cooking, made a loaf of bread. Vacuum, dusted and had company for supper. Eddie and Kim. They enjoyed it very much. We was very pleased to have them. It has been very hot and muggy all day. Billie busy as usual. Bill outside. Carmen and Betty did my shopping.

 

 

 

Thursday, September 5, 1985

 

Cloudy and foggy in a.m. It cleared late, still hot and muggy. I have been busy all day. Made out the bills. I did a wash, defrosted my cake. Betty and Carmen call. They went to Norway. Billie mowed the lawns. Bill down and got some medication.

 

 

 

Friday, September 6, 1985

 

Bill still has a lot of pain in his chest. Billie been busy all day as usual. Milan called two or three times. I did a wash. Kim called, she don’t look very well.

 

 

 

Saturday, September 7, 1985

 

I got up early, got the work done up. Made rolls, pie (apple), washed the floors. Kim to work at 8 AM today. Billie and I called at Milan and Betty’s this evening. Verne Irish came and worked on the washing machine. Bill not feeling very good.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment