The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, April 27, 2023

October 30 - November 2, 1985

 

Wednesday, October 30, 1985

 

On the cloudy side today. I done up the work, went over to Carmen’s. I watched all programs today. Bill over to the CRE junction twice today. Billie cleaned up the floors today, washed some windows in the barn etc. Betty and I over to Carmen’s and Kim’s house. Kim didn’t work, her day off.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 31, 1985

 

I been busy. I got my work done up and went shopping with Dorothea over to Norway. Watched some of the shows. Bill and Billie in and out. Halloween tonight, 20 kids called and a few adults.

 

 

 

Friday, November 1, 1985

 

A nice day. I cleaned up the house, washed, went down to Windham with Betty and Carmen. Got some Italian sandwiches. Checks came today. We took them to the bank. Milan and Betty called. Billie been doing up his fall work. Bill been reading. Kim working.

 

 

 

Saturday, November 2, 1985

 

Cloudy, on the cool windy side. I got breakfast, done up the regular work. Made rolls and a chocolate cake. Bill and Billie out and in. Betty and Walt put some more window blinds up. Milan called. Carmen called. She is walking Katie’s dog while she is away. Got hay.

Katie Elder's dog, Lacy

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment