The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Saturday, April 8, 2023

August 23 - 26, 1985

 

Friday, August 23, 1985

 

A nice day, we need rain very bad. David’s well went dry today. I did a wash, we picked shell beans and I froze them. Milan called, we gave him some and Dorothea. Also got some for Betty. Bill in bed all day, not feeling very good. I hope he will hurt so he never will touch another cigarette. Well the papers have gone through on Carmen’s house. They will be moving in to it in about three weeks. Eddie and Kim to move in and pay rent to her. Eddie has a job to go to Monday. He is such a nice kind guy.

 

 

 

Saturday, August 24, 1985

 

A mostly sunny day. Then got a dite cloudy in PM. I did regular work. Made a blue pie and washed floors then I began on the shell beans. We picked a few more. I shell them all and canned all of them. Billie picked tomatoes, cukes etc. David down this morning to get a tub to water his cows in. Bill up most of this day. He still smokes and he shouldn’t. I wish he’d stopped. Betty and Walt out for supper and grocery shopping. They did some for me. Zack called tonight.

 

 

 

Sunday, August 25, 1985

 

A heavy rainy day all day. Good. We need it so bad. Walt up for coffee and David also. I didn’t do anything today. No one here, girls working. Rain at last

 

John McEnaney in Indonesia

 

 

Monday, August 26, 1985 GOOD OLD RAIN

 

This is been the second day of rain and it rained hard most all day. I did a wash, down to Carmen and Kim’s. Betty and I, we helped pack some dishes and a few other things. Eddie to work, but it wasn’t anything worthwhile. He has a interview at the nursing home this Wednesday.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment