The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 9, 2023

August 27 - 30, 1985

Tuesday, August 27, 1985 Zack through work

 

It was cloudy in early morning then it began to break away and the sun came out and it was a beautiful day. I did my work up. Did a big ironing. Went to town with Betty. I came home, washed the noon dishes then I watched TV. Carmen called, later Kim and Eddie called. Eddie has a job over to Bridgton Academy. Carmen is having problems with her ex-roommate and ex- friend Lisa Osgood. How can anyone be so mean to a person as nice and kind as Carmen or Kim, either of those three kids are very nice kind and thoughtful.

 

 

Wednesday, August 28, 1985 Eddie gone to work

 

A beautiful day. I been busy all. I did my hair, shampooed and a rinse. Dorothea called here today for a little while. It seemed good to see her. Betty and Kim gone away to look at the cottages for John. Carmen took Zack over to the dentist and to do his school shopping. Billie and I went down to see them after supper. He was proud because he earned the money for them himself. He is pleased to be through work, he worked down to the barn getting it ready for this winter.

 

 

 

Thursday, August 29, 1985

 

A partly cloudy day. Cleared in PM. I done up the work, got ready to go to town. Betty took me down in PM. Carmen and Kim called in PM. Carmen packing. Kim worked and will pack tonight.

 

 

 

Friday, August 30, 1985

 

Began to rain in early a.m., 4 AM. I done up the work, did the washing, changed beds. A community nurse called to see Bill. Betty called. Bill down to the hospital for blood test.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment