The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

September 28 - October 1, 1985 Fryeburg Fair

 

Saturday, September 28, 1985 ZAK IN HOSPITAL

 

A nice day, on the sunny side. The wind blowed very hard, not too cold. Billie mowed and cleaned up all the leaves, all picked up. I cleaned up all the dishes and the house. The power came on at about 10 AM. I baked some beans. They were good. Betty and Charlene here for supper. Billie checked all his fence for broken limbs etc. Kim and Eddie here. Eddie was peeked. I hope he will get rested good. They been very busy all day. Zack sick and in the hospital with kidney infection.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 29, 1985

 

This has been a nice day, sunny and mild. I got breakfast. Walt called for coffee and Milan called. Kim was here today. Eddie back to work. I made cookies and brownies. Over to the CKE to junction home. They don’t have any power yet. Carmen called. Betty Smith called. Billie cleaned garage. Zak home. He  is cleared up from the infection.

 

 

 

Monday, September 30, 1985

 

A hot sunny day. I did a big wash. I made applesauce. Got my supper to going. I watched TV shows in PM. Carmen, Kim still don’t have power yet. Milan called, he don’t look very good. Carmen call. She, Zack and Erica to the fair today. Billie been busy today. Bill don’t feel the best. Delores is sick Dorothea said.

 


 

 

Tuesday, October 1, 1985 FIRST EGG

 

A very nice hot Indian summer day. I done up my work and did the ironing. I made a banana pudding for supper. Then I, also Bill and I went over to the kids house. Billie went in his truck hauling some things for the building operation which will soon take place. Betty S went to Fryeburg Fair with Anna. Bill to the Dr., he has a bad case of sugar. Got to go on a 1200 calorie diet for one week. I went up to Delores’ tonight with Dorothea. She is sick and shouldn’t be left alone. Kimmy to Fryeburg Fair with some of the patients from the nursing home. She called early in a.m. They got there electric power back. Zack had some work done on him today at Dr. Doyle due to his kidney problem.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment