The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, April 21, 2023

October 9 - 12, 1985

 

Wednesday, October 9, 1985

 

It started out cloudy but it cleared and was nice in the PM. Sunny and mild. I made a pie and then I went over to the kids home in Harrison for a little visit. Bill worked on the door over there. Betty and Phil worked on the stalls. Billie and Carmen worked on the fence. Zack home at noon and he went over too. Carmen and Kim mowed the lawn.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 10, 1985

 

Quite mild, cloudy in a.m. It kind of cleared in late PM. I done up the regular work. Carmen and Kim came and had breakfast. Carmen came also and she had breakfast. Kim and I went to their house, came back. She went and done her washing. Bill, Billie and Betty over there working today. Milan called also.

 

 

 

Friday, October 11, 1985

 

I did a wash. Got ready to go to Norway. Carmen took me. I came home, watched some of my programs. Betty and Billie over to the kids house and Phil Maynard. They got things quite well done. A lot more to do now. I went over with Carmen.

 

 

 

Saturday, October 12, 1985

 

A nice sunny morning. It kind of hazy as the day went on. I done up regular work. I vacuumed, dusted, washed kitchen floor. Made a chiffon cake and rolls. We went over to Kim and Carmen’s. Billie and Carmen fix the fence. Bill came. I rode over with Billie. Milan called today and Zack also.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment