The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Monday, April 10, 2023

August 31 - Sept 3, 1985 Zak Starts Sophomore Year

August 31, 1985

 

A cloudy rainy day. It was on the cold side. I done up my work, washed floors, got ready and went up to Dorothea’s for the yard sale. I stayed with Fern while they got set up and done the selling. It was cold and rainy. They had to keep coming in to get warmed up. Carmen, Betty S, Betty H and Dorothea was selling. Kim and Eddie came in PM.

 

 

 

Sunday, September 1, 1985

 

A nice sunny day. I done up the work. Walt called for coffee. I got ready, went up to Dorothea’s for the rest of the barn sale. They did quite well. Had a good time. Brud called. Betty H, Betty S, Milan, Carmen and her (?) Erica Pitts. Kim and Bill called. Billie mowed grass as Charlene’s.

 

 

 

Monday, September 2, 1985

 

Showery in a.m. It cleared in late PM. I did the wash. Got supper to going. Kim called, Carmen, Betty and Milan. I watched TV in PM. I made a squash pie.

 

 

 

Tuesday, September 3, 1985 SCHOOL BEGAN, ZACK A SOPHOMORE

 

Nice and sunny when we got up. Zack began his sophomore year of high school. He looked nice when he went. We went down to see him. Bill got his hearing aid all paid for today. They came and checked it out and I hope it will work. $539. Betty, Carmen and I went up on the Ridge and got the screens and the couch from Dorothea for Carmen. We got a closet from Betty S. Then Betty and Carmen went and done my shopping. Billie to the Dr. at Fryeburg, his toe has infection and it is serious. He got to get medication for it.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment