The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Sunday, April 23, 2023

October 16 -18, 1985 Nanny and Poppa 55th Anniversary, Kim and Eddie Engagement

 

Wednesday, October 16, 1985

 

At last a nice sunny day. I done a lot of odd jobs. Bill, Billie over working on the horse gate at their junction. Milan and Betty to the doctor. Betty’s eye is doing okay but has an allergy. Milan’s problem is a reaction from this treatment. They called in PM. Betty called too. She and Billie got some lumber to take over. Bill and Billie put the storm door window in the front doors. I watched TV soaps.

 

 

 

Thursday, October 17, 1985

 

A very nice day. I done up the work. Washed the kitchen windows. Billie took the screens up. Carmen called and told me she would take me shopping. I got ready, we went to Norway. Came back and stopped at her house. Left her groceries and the meat gave them. She had to get ready to go to work. Betty came and she brought me home. Carmen is so pleased to have the horses over there. I hope they aren’t homesick. I came home, watched some shows. Dorothea called. I had picked up supper. Milan called today also he went to the doctor. Also Billie to his eye Dr. and his eyes are very good. Kim and Eddie out for a ride today.

 

 

 

Friday, October 18, 1985 MEAT, 55 Wedding Anniversary October 18, 1930 to October 18, 1985 KIMBERLEY ALLIE HORTON AND EDWARD THOMAS BOULTER BECAME ENGAGED

 

 

I got up early, got breakfast, done up regular work. I changed my bed, cleaned the bed, cleaned up the room. Did a big wash. Put some things in the storage box on back porch. Susan Deming called, wished us a happy anniversary. Milan called. He and Billie down town in PM. They went to Norway and picked up the meat. Dorothea, Fern called in PM. Also Betty before she went to the Dr. (Martin) for her back. I got my supper to going, watched TV. I took a bath before supper. Then we went down to Milan and Betty’s for a party, wedding anniversary. Betty, Walt and Zack and us. Then later Kim and Eddie called, they gave us a big surprise. Kimberly Allie Horton and Edward Thomas Boulter became engaged on our 55th wedding anniversary. They announced it to us. An April wedding is planned. They are pleased and they will make a very nice couple. We are very proud of them both.

 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment