The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 1, 2019

December 26 - 29, 1972 Poppa's Birthday


Tuesday, December 26, 1972 Cloudy,  HST died today

Another cloudy dreary day. Betty went to Portland to exchange some Christmas gifts. I went with her. I exchanged a dress. We called at Dorothea’s. Kim up here all day. Carmen stayed at home. Billie had today off. Walt home early, didn’t feel too good, tired out. Harry S Truman died at age 88 this morning at 7:50 AM. Wyvern and girls came today for a few days. Billie Deming up to Jeff Smith’s for a few days. Carmen and Cathy called.



Wednesday, December 27, 1972

Done up regular work. Billie and I took Christie down and got her rabies shot and distemper. Then we got her license. Bill began to work on his new TV antenna.



Thursday, December 28, 1972

I done a little more washing. Bill back to work. I did ironing. Bill worked on his TV antenna. Kim came up to spend the day. She is staying tonight. She and I down to Ferns in evening while Billie and Lloyd up and got their hair cuts. Esther there.



Friday, December 29, 1972

A very nice day. I done up regular work. Dorothea came up. She and Betty went to Norway. Jeff and friend over to Pleasant Mountain skiing. Bill worked on the outside TV antenna. Dorothea and Betty came home. Then Dorothea and I went to town. I did a dite of shopping. I got supper. Bill and Dorothea went to get the boys from this mountain. Then when they got back Dorothea and kids grabbed a bite then had to go right back home. After supper Betty and family, Es and Cliff came and we had a birthday for Bill. He got many gifts, cig lighter. The car tax license fee paid by Billie, wire for his outside light. A watch. Had ice cream and cake. A good time. Betty brought Carmen’s tape recorder. Fern, Lloyd down to Downey’s for supper.




No comments:

Post a Comment