The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

March 28 - 30, 1973


Wednesday, March 28, 1973

A nice day. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. Betty, Bill and I went over to Harrison and Betty got six laying hens for herself. Came home. In p.m. she and Fern went to Mechanic Falls to see where she could get some baby chicks. He told her about a Mrs. Lankins up around or near Farmington. So she called the lady and she will get them tomorrow. Over to see Jean this p.m. She is not any better. More weak and very nervous.



Thursday, March 29, 1973 Baby Chicks

Kind of cloudy. It was not too cold. I got my work done up early, went down to Betty’s while she went to get some hens. Took them down to Dawn’s. Then she got ready and we all went to North Chesterfield Maine, a small town near Farmington to get the baby chicks. She got 30 pullets and 20 roosters. Esther, Fern, Zak and I went with her. It was a nice ride.



Miss Peeper




Friday, March 30, 1973

Cloudy. About noon it began to clear. It was nice and sunny rest of the day. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. Came home, got ready. I washed my floor. Then when we got ready, went over to Hicks Nursing Home to see Jean. She isn’t at all good. Her mind is bad. Her appetite is not good either. We did the grocery shopping. Betty’s chickens done very well. Didn’t lose any. In evening Esther and Cliff came over. Carmen up for a little while after school.


No comments:

Post a Comment