The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 15, 2019

February 16 - 18, 1973 Betty's 30th Birthday


Friday, February 16, 1973

A very nice day. In early a.m. it was sunny. Not too cold. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. and helped her clean up her house. Came home, got lunch and went to town and done my skinny grocery shopping. Bill down to Gordon’s.



Saturday, February 17, 1973 Betty 30 today

A very nice day but very cold and windy. I baked beans, washed windows. Done regular work. Milan came about 9:30. Billie and I cleaned up the breezeway. He and Billie put the ox yoke up. I made bread and rolls. After supper I went down and got supper for Pa and the kids. Walt took Betty out for supper for her birthday. They came back early and then they had company, Errol and Randy. They had such a good time.

Randy, Betty and Errol





A little Bluegrass music


Dick and Randy



Sunday, February 18, 1973

Cloudy most of the day, quite cold. I got up early, done my work after taking a bath. Got the roast pork dinner to going. Milan came back from friends he visited up in the Gardiner area in early a.m. About 1 PM I had dinner ready. We ate about two. Did the dishes and visited later in p.m. Betty played her tape she had made last night. Then we had birthday cake and ice cream. A little later they all went home. Milan came back from visiting Esther, then went to visit Anna Hewson to see how Pete is.



No comments:

Post a Comment