The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Thursday, November 7, 2019

January 17 - 20, 1973


Wednesday, January 17, 1973 Pony

Another nice day, real March like day. I done up regular work. Went down to Betty’s. She cleaned her hens out. Also she and Bill built a nice stall for the new pony. Betty bought a Shetland pony from a Mr. and Mrs. Warner. If it proves satisfactory it will be Kim’s pony. In p.m. Betty took me to town to do some shopping at the Federal Market. Bill down to the barn this p.m. Lloyd up for a little while today. I made a couple chocolate pies today, one for Betty.



Thursday, January 18, 1973

A very nice day. I went down to Betty’s in a.m. Esther was down there too. Dawn and Judd came up for the day. Judd and Freya played so hard and so long they got very tired. In p.m. I worked on my scraps.



Friday, January 19, 1973 70° today, Zak sick

This has been a very nice mild day. Temperatures went up to 70°. I done up my work. Washed windows and clothes. The clothes dried very good. In p.m. Betty, Esther, Fern, Zak and I went to Norway. Zak was sick. He got sick again coming home and threw up. Betty took him to the doctors. He gave him a couple shots. He was still sick after supper. Betty took his temperature. Betty had the pony hitched out today.



Saturday, January 20, 1973 President

A cloudy dreary day. It rained in a.m. and in p.m. it turned to snow and very heavy winds. I done up regular work, baked a cake and baked beans. Bill went and got Esther about 10 AM. She was here for the day. She, Bill and I watched the inaugural all day. Very pretty on the colored TV. Billie Deming came over for supper. Billie worked for Lawrence all day butchering hogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment