The blog posts below are taken from my grandmother's diaries. Althea Green Smith Crook was lovingly referred to as Nanny to her immediate family ~ thus her diaries are called Nanny's Diaries.

Nanny wrote in her diaries when she remembered to - mostly in the evening. There will be some years in which she didn't keep diaries and there will also be some days/weeks in her yearly diaries in which she skipped or forgot to write in them. For the most part, these are her words - written as she wrote them. There will be typos, forgotten punctuation, and other grammatical errors - but I am rewriting these as my Nanny originally wrote them.

As with all old handwriting, there are some entries that I can't quite make out - and these entries will be followed with a (?) to signify that this may or may not be correct or I can't figure out what she is trying to write.

Thank you Nanny for leaving us 50 years worth of memories! We miss you!

Friday, November 29, 2019

April 7 - 9, 1973


Saturday, April 7, 1973

A beautiful day. I done regular work, cooked, Carmen enjoyed her visit. Zenya came up in PM for a little while. Bill down town and down to Gordon’s. He felt bad about Jean not knowing him or her being so sick. She got worse today and tonight they had to take her to the hospital by ambulance. I had a good beans supper. Carmen liked it. She made a cake. Stan came up for supper. Billie went with Lawrence in p.m. Carmen went home after supper. Esther called in evening, she had had a rough day.



Sunday, April 8, 1973

Cloudy when we got up. It cleared away. I done up my work. About 10:00 I went down to Betty’s to help make the Italian sandwiches for Kim’s birthday party. Dorothea, Dave, Jeffrey came. Also Esther came and helped make the sandwiches. Fern, Lloyd. Billie ate and had to go with Lawrence. Kim got a lot of nice gifts. She was very pleased and had a very pretty cake Dorothea made. She got money. She enjoyed it very much and so did Zak. He was so excited. Billie got back early from Freedom New Hampshire.




  












Monday, April 9, 1973

A very nice sunny day, on the cold windy side. I done regular work. Betty, Zak and I went to look for a horse she saw advertised in the paper. Hazen Libby in Falmouth. A very nice looking horse. Also she went to Norway and South Paris, stopped at Twitchell’s too. Came home. In p.m. Bill measured for the new room down cellar. Called to see Carmen’s bathing suit. I got supper. Stan called. After supper Betty and I went to see Jean down in the hospital. She is very sick. Can’t talk. Cliff called this p.m.



No comments:

Post a Comment